The Field Context menu is accessed by right-clicking on a field that is being used in an Analyzer report. The menu has many uses which deal with editing the displays of fields in edit mode.
Additionally, you can select the ellipses at the top of the list to change the way a field is displayed. For instance, if you create a field using the Add/Edit Formula dialog, and you wish to display the output of the field as currency, you would right-click the field, click the ellipses under print format, select currency, and click OK to apply your changes.
- Rename: Renames the field.
- Delete: Deletes the field from the report.
- Use Descriptions: Allows the descriptions for each value to be toggled on/off.
- Sort: Sorts the data in either ascending or descending order.
- Print Format: Edits how the field is displayed.
- Show or Hide Fields: You can show or hide fields from the desired output. For instance, if you want to show sales for all employees by state, but want to hide the results for Hawaii, you could right-click your state field, select hide and check Hawaii to hide it.
- Cumulative Total: An additional column is added containing the sum of all the consecutive items preceding it. This is useful when comparing against projected totals.
- Percent Column: Adds an additional column that holds the cumulative total of the field in the form of a percentage.
- Advanced Functions: A list of more advanced available functions for the field.
- Properties: Opens the field properties dialog which includes both editable and read-only properties of the field.
- Groups and Ranges: Opens the Groups and Ranges dialog.
Groups and Ranges
Groups and Ranges allows you to take your row or column values and condense them into manageable pieces. When a group or a range is created, it sums the values of the KPI cells and collapses all the specified row values into a single row.
For instance, suppose you had an Analyzer where you were breaking your sales out by specific states, such as here:
|Count All||Total Order Amount|
Instead, you want to show sales broken out by region. This is accomplished by creating a group for each region, and putting the appropriate states into each group. In this case, you would create a group for Northeast states, and add Maryland and New York. Next you would create a Northwest group and add California and Idaho. The results would appear as follows:
|Total Order Amount|
Additionally, the Groups and Ranges dialog allows you apply intervals. For instance, if you had a numeric field representing currency, such as order amount set as a Row Dimension, you would see values such as: $12.01, $12.24, $13.27. If you set up intervals of fifty, then all the values between zero and fifty would be condensed in one cell, fifty to one hundred would be in the next, and so on. For numeric fields, this is extremely helpful as it condenses values that differ by marginal amounts, such as a penny.
- Ranges that are split into even parts can be automatically generated in the Range tab by selecting the number of ranges and clicking generate.
- For certain types of fields, such as dates, pre-defined groups such as "Month", "Year", "Quarter", etc. are provided in the "Built in Groups" tab.